What Are Journal Writing Prompts?
Journal writing prompts are basically a question or the start of a sentence to get your ideas flowing.
Sometimes you can stare at a blank piece of paper and just draw a blank. Haha, see what I did there?
It can be unnerving to try to come up with a topic to write about, so a prompt can inspire you.
The great thing about prompts is that everyone will write a different answer to the prompt.
Your journey and your interpretation are going to be completely different than mine. What inspires you is going to be different than what inspires me.
Free writing in your journal is shown to increase your creativity. Even just doodling is a great way to express yourself so give it a try.
Just pick a prompt and see where it takes you. We’ve provided an exhaustive list of ideas for you so you’ll be able to find something here to get you writing!
~This post may contain affiliate links. If you click one and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. This helps us fund creating great content for you! For more information click here ~
Daily Journal Writing Prompts
- What is the highlight of today’s schedule?
- What’s your biggest concern today?
- What did you dream about last night?
- What are your plans for this weekend?
- If you had time, what would you include in your schedule today?
- Describe what you see outside your window
- Where were you this time last year?
- What is your favorite animal?
- If your pet could talk, what would it say?
- What would your perfect day look like?
- Share two things you can’t live without?
- Is it better to give or to receive?
- What is your favorite meal?
- What does normal mean to you?
- What’s at the end of a rainbow?
- Write a sentence starting with every letter of the alphabet
- What do you see in the clouds?
- Which decade would you have liked to experience?
Gratitude Journal Writing Prompts
- Name three things you are grateful for right now
- What are you most grateful for right now?
- How has a special person in your life made you feel?
- Write about an amazing experience you’ve had
- What was the last great surprise you received?
- Share a memory that always brings a smile to your face?
- What is your best childhood memory?
- Which activity brings you the most joy?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- Name something positive about today’s weather
- Name your five favorite people and why they are special
- Talk about your closest friend
- Tell about a person who inspires you
- What is your favorite activity to do with a friend
- Who do you rely on the most for advice or support
- Write about your love language?
- What makes you feel special?
- What does love mean to you?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- Are you a more positive or negative person?
- What is your favorite book?
- Talk about the best book you’ve read lately?
- Tell the most recent dream that you remember?
- Name a challenge you are facing right now
- What is your favorite way to relax?
- What’s on your bucket list?
- What is your biggest regret?
- Talk about your favorite memory?
- Write about a memory from your childhood
- What is your favorite food or meal?
- Share a skill that you’d like to learn?
- What has been your favorite job?
- Talk about your favorite outfit?
- When you were younger, what t did you want to be when you grew up?
- What do you think is your best quality?
- What is your “bucket list” vacation idea?
- Where did you go on your last vacation?
- Where would be a great weekend getaway?
- What is your most memorable vacation?
- What was your favorite part of planning a vacation?
- Who is your favorite person to travel with?
- Where would you take a road trip to?
- What foreign country would you like to visit?
- What did you want to bring home on your last trip?
- Which item do you forget to pack when you travel?
- When was the last time you attended a carnival?
Seasonal Prompts for Spring
- I know it’s spring when….
- Why does spring signify birth or new growth?
- What is your favorite thing about spring?
- What would you plant in a garden?
- Do you or could you grow your own food?
Seasonal Prompts for Summer
- I know it’s summer when….
- My favorite summer food is
- My favorite thing to do during the summer
- Would you rather swim in the ocean or a pool?
Seasonal Prompts for Fall
- I know its fall when….
- When I see changing leaves I think of….
- Do you prefer fall or autumn
- What does fall smell like?
Seasonal Prompts for Winter
- I know it’s winter when….
- My favorite thing about winter is…
- If I could live anywhere during winter it would be….
- What is your favorite way to spend a snowy day
Did we miss any of your go-to journal writing prompts?
Let us know in the comments below and don’t forget to save this on Pinterest for the next time you’re stuck when you pull out your journal.